Veggie prepping can be a little intimidating; especially when it’s something you’ve never prepared or eaten before. At Tenaza Organics, we want to make sure you get the most out of our fresh, local produce. For this reason, we’ve come up with some helpful tips for properly prepping your organic veggies. Follow these simple rules to get the most out of your vegetables:
- Organic veggies can be washed as soon as arriving home from picking up your CSA box at our drop-off location. Use storage containers or airtight bags to keep your vegetables fresher longer.
- Give your root vegetables a deep cleaning treatment by starting off with a 10-minute soak in a bowl of cold water mixed with ¼ cup of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. Follow up with a gentle scrub and run it under cold water.
- Avoid peeling veggies when possible. Veggie skins are loaded with nutrients that contain a host of health benefits.
- Try not to overcook your veggies. Aim for slightly tender, and one rule of thumb for green veggies is to cook until they turn a bright green color.
- For dishes that call for multiple types of veggies, cut them into equal-sized pieces so their cooking times won’t vary.
- Whether you steam, boil or grill your veggies, only cook the ones you need for your meal. Any leftover veggies lose vitality and are healthier when cooked and eaten fresh.
- A vacuum sealer can be your best friend when it comes to freezing your veggies. Begin by slightly cooking or parboiling your vegetables. Give them a cold rinse and let them cool before storing in airtight freezer bags.
Your Organic Veggie Experience Awaits!
Don’t let veggie prepping stand in the way of you and your family enjoying the best of what the season has to offer. When it comes to preparing and cooking your fresh organic veggies, we’ve got you covered.
To get your share of locally grown, organic vegetables in South Texas, or for more information about our CSA program, contact Tenaza Organics at 956.432.4983 today!